Pledging to reduce your food waste involves better food planning.
Pro tip: When you have a trip coming up, it’s time to clean out the fridge.
When you are heading out to travel and will be away from home for a while, it’s best to cook from the fridge, freezer or pantry. Resist the urge to do more grocery shopping. Instead, take a look at what you have and use it up. That way, you leave behind nothing to spoil while you’re gone, and you won’t through any food away.
Use What You Have
I recently cleared out my fridge and came up with a plan:
- I had half a jar of pasta sauce, so planned tortellini one night with it.
- I ate the cooked leftovers as lunch.
- I had lettuce, onion, celery and some tomatoes, so I planned a big tossed salad.
- I snacked on the remaining apples.
- I had some blueberries and greek yogurt, so I made salad dressing with it.
Zero Waste Blueberry Balsamic Salad Dressing
I had leftover blueberries so I used them to create a salad dressing.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch salt
- ground pepper to taste
Pulse blueberries, lime juice, yogurt, and vinegar in a food processor until blended
Add the olive oil and blend.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and pulse again until smooth and creamy.